Tuesday 21 November 2017

How to improve my english?

Some years ago, I was talking in english with some friends and this girl (she was from New York) told me "you're from latinamerica, right?". Apparently my "H" sounded very spanish-like and it gave away where I was from immediately. I didn't take it as a bad thing, but it made me more aware of our different accents and some sounds that we "borrow" from our mothertongue when we speak english.

My biggest practices on the language are reading and listening. Internet is an insanely huge source of information, and english is preferred in almost all areas of knowledge. When I'm unsure about a topic, I'll most likely search it on the english Wikipedia rather than the spanish one, for instance. There are also many more sources for university assignments and thesis in english than spanish, so it's a great tool. When it comes to hobbies and free time, I also follow plenty of english-speaking YouTube channels, such as vlogging, science videos, sketches and so on. One of my favourite YouTubers is VSauce. VSauce explains several topics of physics, chemistry, maths and psychology in such a way that you get hooked by the video regardless of what your interests are. There's something for everyone.

And due to all these pages and channels, I also tend to write every now and then in english. I even contributed in a videogame page at some point, creating posts such as these ones. Those were quite challenging as I needed to use correct language, be precise and funny at the same time.

The best (and maybe only) way to get better at something is to do that often. Speaking a language follows the same idea.

2 comments:

  1. I think the same too, if you practice often anyone subject or language you get better in that =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. VSauce sound very interesting, I will see him and maybe look for someone of your comments ! 😊

    ReplyDelete